Eden Weller, Customer and Market Insights Manager, JJ Keller & Associates and Carol Shea, President, InsightsCentral present at Quirk’s Brooklyn Event
With over 140 speakers and 85 sessions, the Quirk’s Conference East was jammed packed with learnings!
Here’s some of the best tips from the conference on utilizing improved insights department processes to more rapidly build company growth and profitability.
Build a Customer-Centric Organization
- Building a customer-centric organization takes more effort on the part of insights teams than encouraging corporate leadership to read reports and observe a few focus groups. Rather, the Insights team needs to engage business partners at all levels in the daily lives of their customers using a multi-prong, ongoing approach that includes company-wide sharing of data, videos, twitter posts, personas, and even live consumer interactions.
- Fall in love with the problem, not the solution. Insights teams need to help business partners think broader and deeper about the challenges that their customers have. This is vital to avoid siloed and too narrowly focused thinking that can result from business partners being too close to the daily challenges to see the big picture. As Albert Einstein said, “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s that I stay with the problem longer.”
- Courtesy of Bob Silagi, Senior Manager of Consumer and Market Insights, Bose: “How – and Why – To Create A Consumer-Centric Culture”
Encourage Business Growth Through Agile Research Approaches
- Fast-growing companies like GrubHub, Amazon, Lending Tree and others rely on Agile development processes that are defined by three principles:
- Embedding customer feedback in all stages of development
- Iterating product and service offerings rapidly
- Building team alignment on goals and strategies
- Research teams need to keep up with these agile development processes by being agile themselves – utilizing techniques that will provide a flow of customers insights to feed business partners with learnings as they are needed.
- Courtesy of Giustina Parisi, Consumer Insights Manager, American Family Insurance and Monika Wingate, CEO & Co-Founder, Digsite: “How to Disrupt Your Organization Before You Get Disrupted”
Improve Business Success Through Increased Alignment
- While delivering insights is important, using a strategic and consultative approach to help business partners make better decisions is invaluable. Strategic and consultative skills are typically taught on the job and take years to develop.
- Using a new enhanced Insights Brief process significantly speeds up the development of these skills. In addition, establishing new process and performance benchmarks based on using the enhanced Insights Brief can improve business partner success through increased control and risk management.
- Rolling out a new Insights Brief process can be done easily and effectively, by starting it as a pilot and finding opportunities to engage business partners throughout project lifecycles.
- Courtesy of Eden Weller, Customer and Market Insights Manager, JJ Keller & Associates and Carol Shea, President, InsightsCentral: “Achieving Business Partner Success: 4 Views on Gaining Business Alignment and Accountability”